yes folks. more soup.
this one is a real treat. remember when I joined Blog and Tweet Boston for dinner at Moksa? well, they were ever so generous to share one of their recipes with us: Oven Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. you can read about my restaurant experience HERE.
I loved it SO much at the event that I recently made it, loved it again, and felt guilty keeping the recipe to myself.
very vegan. slightly sweet. coconut milk based. curry. edamame.
oh, and butternut squash.
MOKSA’S OVEN ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
adapted from MOKSA restaurant
1-2 butternut squash (3 lbs total), halved and seeds removed (I bought 2 prepared halves that were already skinned and seeded)
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup edamame, shelled and boiled (for garnish)
2 cans coconut milk (I used one regular and one light)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup hot water
2 tbsp canola oil
3 tsp Japanese curry powder (the original recipe calls for 6 oz, which I imagine is a typo?)
salt and pepper to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 400° F.
- LINE a baking sheet with aluminum foil. place squash halves onto baking sheet cut side up, coat with 1 tbsp canola oil and roast until fork tender, 50-60 minutes.
- COOL squash on a wire rack for 20 minutes. scoop out to remove from shell (unless it’s shell-less just chop it up) and set aside.
- MIX Japanese curry powder with 1 cup hot water in a small bowl until smooth. set aside.
- HEAT 1 tbsp canola oil in a stock pot. add onions and sauté until soft.
- ADD squash, curry mix, coconut milk, broth, and bring to a boil.
- SIMMER on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- REMOVE from heat and blend (carefully!) until smooth. season with salt and pepper.
- GARNISH with edamame.
Pingback: Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup « Keitochan Says: