you guys. I found a great individually portioned (and freezer friendly) meal recipe.
these mexican tamale pies, they’re really good. and super easy.
all you do, is simmer some stuff and spoon it into individual thingies:
then you mix some other stuff and top off the thingies:
then you… bake them:
now I wasn’t crazy about this polenta topping recipe, so next time I’ll replace it with cornbread, or add cheese or some other mix-in. just a little bland for my taste.
keep in mind that the polenta doesn’t rise, but if you use a cornbread topping you’ll need to leave a little room for that. you could also throw all of this in one big pie dish.
MEXICAN TAMALE PIES
adapted from chocolate-covered Katie
(makes 4-5 pies)
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted for extra flavor)
1 3/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1 small zucchini, diced
1 1/2 tbsp cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp each onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
a few shakes of red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cornmeal
2 2/3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
4-5 mini pie tins (I used 2 ramekins and 2 mini loaf tins)
- COMBINE all filling ingredients except the cornmeal in a large saucepan and simmer partially covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 tbsp cornmeal.
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. lightly grease individual pie dishes/pans with olive oil.
- COMBINE all topping ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. reduce heat to a simmer and stir continuously until the mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- SPOON filling into dishes/pans and top with polenta. this will not rise when baked, so you can fill it to the top.
- BAKE pies on a cookie sheet (for stability and easy transport) until golden, 35-45 minutes.
anyone have a favorite polenta recipe we could use here?
Please bring me one. And cook for me. K thanks 🙂
Looks delicious! What about doing a quinoa-polenta?
Oh! do you have a recipe? would love to try it!
This one is on my to-try list. Was going to make it for a gluten-free vegetarian last weekend, but had to cancel the dinner because of snow.
nice! this looks so much more flavorful than what I made, which is basically cornmeal and water ha!
Yum!! Looks soo good!
been eating them for lunch and not tired of them yet! (crosses fingers)
Pingback: Mexican tamale pies | Appetite for Instruction