i was so excited to make food for the workweek on the last day of my juice cleanse. the great thing about kale, is that you can toss it with dressing and it doesn’t get soggy, making it a great make-ahead salad. keeps for a few days. love it.
but i screwed up. i didn’t use a good make-ahead salad dressing. it was delicious, but i kinda maybe wasn’t thinking that if i blended avocado with other things it will still turn BROWN. duh, you say. DUH.
NO UGLY SALADS ALLOWED.
i guess it just looks like a nice balsamic vinaigrette. but it wasn’t. the damn thing just creeped me out.
so guess what i did? i rinsed it and salad spun it and made another salad! and also a giant mess. i sauteed it a bit because i knew after all of the trauma i put the kale through, it just wouldn’t be the same.
despite all of that i ended up making something even more delicious. i’m so SO very in love with this tahini dressing, folks.
KALE AND ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SALAD WITH TAHINI DRESSING
adapted from REAL SIMPLE
5 cups chopped kale
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cups shredded carrot
1 head cauliflower, cut in florets
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 c water
1/4 c tahini
juice from 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt pepper to taste
- TOAST the pine nuts on a baking sheet in a pre-heated 350° F oven for about 4 minutes, stirring halfway. set aside.
- TOSS the cauliflower with 2 tbsp oil, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper (to taste). spread on a baking sheet and bake until tender, stirring halfway, about 25 minutes.
- SAUTE the carrot and cabbage in 2 tbsp oil for about 2 minutes in a large pan. add kale, stir, and cover with lid for another 4 minutes. don’t overcook the veggies, you just want them to get a bit soft.
- WHISK together the tahini, lemon juice, 2 tbsp oil, water, salt and pepper.
- TOSS everything together in a big bowl along with the pine nuts.
side note: i suggest gradually adding and tossing the amount of dressing to your liking. you may have some leftover.