cauliflower. you love it or you hate it.
I like cauliflower, but was a bit hesitant about this soup. I mean, cauliflower… soup? sounds… boring? gross? bland? something that old people eat? all of the above?
spices are pretty, no?
to my surprise, it was pretty darn good. do yourself a favor- grab some crusty bread and dunk the crap out of it.
CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
adapted from FOOD52
1 large head cauliflower (about 2 1/4 pounds), cut into florets (about 6 cups)
2 large yellow onions, sliced
4 cups water
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp olive oil, for roasting
1 tbsp olive oil (or butter), for sauteing
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp hot paprika or chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. toss cauliflower florets with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt to taste. spread onto a baking sheet.
- ROAST the cauliflower until brown, 25-30 minutes.
- MELT 1 tbsp oil (or butter) in a heavy stock pot on medium heat. add onions and cook until translucent. stir in spices. add broth, cauliflower, and water.
- COVER and bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered on low for 5 min.
- BLEND it up! if you don’t have an immersion blender, GET ONE. else, painstakingly blend in small batches. season with salt and pepper.
side note: I really like the idea of buying spices that you don’t often use, as you need them. I get mine at Cambridge Naturals. this little baggy cost me mere cents. CENTS.
Pingback: Recipe: Quick Caulifower Curry | Rogi